Louis Trichardt is still Louis Trichardt

Date: 09 October 2018 By: Andries van Zyl

Viewed: 4545

The Makhado Municipality’s continued attempts to have the name of Louis Trichardt changed to that of Makhado was dealt another expensive blow to the local taxpayers.

At 11:20 this morning, the North Gauteng High Court found in favour of the Chairpersons' Association (CA) against the Makhado Municipality’s application for a rescission of the 30 October 2014 High Court judgement. According to this judgement, Louis Trichardt was to remain Louis Trichardt after the court set aside the decision of the former Minister of Arts and Culture, Mr Paul Mashatile, to approve the recommendation of the South African Geographical Names Council (SAGNC) to change the name of the town Louis Trichardt to Makhado. At that stage, the attorney of Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa, Ms Doris Tshepe, confirmed that the minister had conceded the review and consented to the order to set aside the decision.

Despite this, the Makhado Municipality brought an application for a rescission of the above judgement. Judge Neil Tuchten, however, dismissed the municipality’s applicationthis morning. “This was as a results of, inter alia, their [the municipality’s] dishonesty in their affidavits presented to the court,” said CA chairperson Mr André Naudé. As a result, the High Court punished the Makhado Municipality with a special punitive cost order on an attorney-to-client basis.

8 Comments

To leave a comment you need to login / register first
    makhosini makhubele 6 days ago

Dear Awelani
    There is no African who opposes the name change from Louis Trichardt to Makhado, believe me, all of us Africans suffered under colonial rule, equally so because colonialists had one thing in common, to dispossess Africans their land, not just land but the most beautiful and fertile lands in South Africa, hence my use of terminology "Africans" so that it may cover all of us collectively and to avoid pleasing the colonialists by the taking pride in ethnicity, something which was invented by them for the purpose of divide and rule. Tsonga people suffered the same fate just like their Venda counterparts under colonial rule, it may not necessarily be in Makhado area but elsewhere where they live. The beautiful land of Skukuza outside Hazyview is one example where Tsonga people had their beautiful land taken away from them by the British colonialists. As I said earlier, I fully support, and believe me, many Africans fully support name Changes all over South Africa, but in so doing, let us pay attention to every one who live in that particular community, not just one section of the population because we are living in a democratic country where consultation with affected communities must be done. As Africans, we should speak with one voice and not allow the legacy of colonialism to reverse progress made thus far...

awelani 6 days ago

Dear Makhosini,

I'm in no way reducing my argument to race or ethnicity. My mentioning of Venda people is because it was the Venda people who fought bloody wars with invaders in their territory. It was also Venda people who were forcefully removed from Louis Trichardt and its surroundings. The humiliation and the pain they suffered is clearly narrated in the stories our elders have told us. They deserve some form of reparation hence a propose name change will appease them. I'm not sidelining Tsonga speaking people but what l'm advocating for is justice for my people. Believe you me if Tsonga peoples have suffered the same i was going to advocate for similar treatment.

Furthermore, Pietersburg is called Polokwane a Pedi name because the original inhabitants were Pedis even though there are Venda, Tsongas and other languages speakers in the area. Same with Pretoria municipality it is called Tshwane a Tswana name even though there other ethnics groups in the area, because Tshwane was Tswana. Why should it be different with Louis Trichardt? This is not about ethnicity but historical injustice our people have suffered.

Timmy Khethani 6 days ago

It must be noted that "Louis Trichardt" remains Louis Trcihardt purely on the basis of a technicality and not on the court finding that changing the name to Makhado is wrong. I agree with Awelani that it is a matter of time before this town is permanently renamed Makhado. In the end it is the likes of Mr Naude who will have wasted their money.For those who are ignorant they must give themselves time and visit the burial site of King Makhado and other members of the Ramabulana royaI family right at the foot of Zoutpansberg (Songozwi) and to this day the practice of burying the royals there persists. It speaks volume about the competency(or lack thereof) of the municipality that they have bungled what is essentially a simple process for so long. Look at Grahamstown for example, the people there addressed the technical issues in no time and those who were in opposition had no leg to stand on. Soon Mr Naude and his cohorts will run out of technical opposition grounds. All what the courts are saying is do things properly and the name will change. Finish and klaar

last edited by Timmy Khethani on 2018-10-11 17:01:09
    makhosini makhubele 6 days ago

Dear Awelani
    Pan-Africanism should form the basis of the debate around name change, not ethnicity. You are right to point out that King Makhado had his capital situated at the present day Louis Trichardt, that is a fact and not even colonialists will dispute that, however, you are wrong to say "it will restore the dignity of Venda people", rather you should be saying "the name Change will restore the dignity of African people" because just 18 km south east of Louis Trichardt (town of Elim and surrounds), you have a large Tsonga speaking community that is not an island, but it physically connect Hazyview to the east. You therefore cannot simply ignore the existence of such a large community. To avoid ethnic accusations, let's approach this issue from a Pan Africanist perspective, even if it is a Venda name we are Ok with it, just do not attempt to sideline the existence of other communities, Louis Trichardt of 1840 and of 2018 is very different, let us approach the name change with changes that took place in the last 180 years...

awelani 7 days ago

Louis Trichardt will definitely be changed to Makhado in the near future. This will be to restore the dignity of the Venda speaking people who resided in the area for 100 of years long before Louis Trichardt and his people arrived. It is a historical fact that King Makhado palace Luaname was based in the area which today we call Louis Trichardt. Our people were forcefully removed from this area and its surrounding by Boers. Some of them were resided is dry areas like Kutama, Sinthumule and Nzhelele. We will never apologies for the restoration of our people dignity.

makhosini makhubele 7 days ago

I fully support changing the name Louis Trichardt as the name itself is a colonial invention, but the new name, I think, should not exclude other people or communities who resides within the area, in fact the new name should unite all the people who stays within the boundaries of the municipality, maybe we could adopt what the people of Polokwane, Mogalakwena, Ba-Phalaborwa, Maruleng and Tzaneen have done, all their names are neutral and accommodates all the people who live within the municipal boundaries, Makhado is not really a bad name but, it's cool but sensitivity is required when doing name change, as times have changed, the area is no longer a home to one group of people but a multicultural community

makhosini makhubele 7 days ago

Africa, South Africa is a bit complex, whether perhaps because of colonialism or otherwise, only time will tell...we have two majorities in South Africa, the first majority is that of Blacks versus whites, the second majority is that of Blacks versus other blacks, the latter is very dangerous because I, as I write this comment, feels that I have every right not to be called a minority because I am an African and South Africa is my natural home, but well, we have some black people in this country who think that they are not Africans but rather they are tribes, with such mentality, Africa is doomed, we will never had a Nation State, United in its diversity, I, to set records straight, I am an African and fully support that we abolish all colonial structures, but that should be done in a sensitive manner, respecting one another as South African...!

Uncle Sol Mashimbye 7 days ago

It is again the taxpayer money that going to pay for this unnecessary name change contestation, I for one don't support this name change and here are my reasons and all because of poor Judgement by Vembe district leadership in conjunction with Makhado municipality leadership, and when I say leadership I mean leadership, let me take you through the chronology of names after democracy, there was Matatshe prison and then came Sithumule-Kutama prison, Makhado at Nzhelele then in came Makhado-park, Makhado municipality, Makhado Air force base, Makhado-Musina special economic zone, no I can still add on this list, Vembe municipality, Musina municipality, Mutale municipality (then) and Thulamela municipality, my point is except Collins Chabane and Thulamela,the rest are Venda names and can't this be a one sided affair.Our leaders are biased and by the way when I say leadership I'm referring to all those in leadership ethnicity regardless because decisions are taken by all leadership in their diversity.

I'm sure I will not be accused of tribalism because I'm pointing my finger to all of them, so I believe those who will comments against will base their argument on facts and not fiction.

Andries van Zyl

Andries joined the Zoutpansberger and Limpopo Mirror in April 1993 as a darkroom assistant. Within a couple of months he moved over to the production side of the newspaper and eventually doubled as a reporter. In 1995 he left the newspaper group and travelled overseas for a couple of months. In 1996, Andries rejoined the Zoutpansberger as a reporter. In August 2002, he was appointed as News Editor of the Zoutpansberger, a position he holds until today.

Email: andries@zoutnet.co.za